Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My little girl got married today...

As if I needed another thing to make me feel old....Kristen, my youngest daughter got married today. 

My emotions covered the spectrum:
  • Joy that she was was so happy.
  • Sadness to see my little girl had grown up.
  • Shock that she had grown into a beautiful woman overnight.
  • Gratitude that I was still around to walk her down the isle
  • Contentment that her dreams were coming to fruition after many years of struggle.
No matter what you think, you are never prepared to be a father.  You realize that when you first hold your child in your arms and see that radiant little face beaming back at you.  You realize at that moment nothing else in life really matters. 

As I watched Kristen and her new husband Chris pledge their love to each other, I also realized I had been replaced by another man.

While recovering from my first heart surgery 13 years ago one of my first activities was to go to the 4th of July celebration in North Ogden.  I struggled from the car to the pavilion area to listen to my two daughters sing.  Betsy (then 14) performed "I dreamed a dream" from Les Miserables and Kristen (then 11) sang "The Rainbow Connection".  Both received standing ovations.

Imagine my surprise and joy to hear the first notes of that song as Kristen approached me for the Father/Bride dance. Thirteen years later, tears streaming down my face I realized I hadn't really been replaced...I had just begun a new chapter in my life's journey.  What joy my future holds watching my children grow and continue their young journeys

I guess its what every father feels at this point in their lives.  I always thought I understood the meaning of  "life is not about the finish...its the journey".

I really didn't get it.....until today...

No comments:

Post a Comment