Friday, September 30, 2011

Careful what you wish for

I love being on the water. I purchased a boat so my family could enjoy the freedom of being on the lake and enjoy more time together. Some of our best times have been on the lake water skiing and fishing.

My daughter Betsy has always loved fishing. At the age of six, she had already proved her prowess by catching innumerable crappie with a $5 Zebco rod and reel. On one trip she came with my friend my friend Mark and I in pursuit of large mouth bass. I set her up with a jig and she immediately went to work pulling in the paper mouths.

Mark and I rigged our $100 rods and began the search for large mouth bass.  We were not having any luck for bass when Betsy yelled "Ive got a big one dad."  "Its a carp" I barked certain that no bass would bite at a crappie jig. 

After all, Mark and I, were the expert fisherman complete with the expensive rod and lures. Once again Besty cried  out "dad, really, its a bass".  Thinking she had a carp, I slowly rose to see the large mouth on the end of her line. She landed the 5 pounder on her own.  The only bass caught that day.

Deciding a more expensive rod and reel would improve her success, I began to teach  Betsy how to cast with an open face reel. Those of you familiar with this equipment understand that in order to cast, you must:
  • Trap the line with your index finger.
  • Lock the trap open.
  • Release the line from your finger as you cast the pole forward.
Betsy's eyes started to brighten as she brought the pole back for the first cast. I could see the visions of another five pounder dancing  in her head. Her first attempt ended up a mere 2 feet away.  Undaunted she repeated the steps. Two feet again. A third time...as she started forward, I yelled "now let go."
She did exactly what her dad told her and let go of the pole. I stood speechless as I watched the $100 rod and reel sink to the bottom of the lake.  I stared at her. She could only reply, "I did what you told me dad."

So why am I telling you this story?  I LEARNED an important lesson that day.

If you want your kids to do everything you tell them to.....they just might 

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story, Bob. It also illustrates that it ain't the gear that catches the fish.

    ReplyDelete